Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A little bit about everything

Everyday last week we read with 4 children at the Primary School: Eluid, Sarah, Salome, and Emanuel. I really enjoyed getting to know these kids and their stories. Most of them walk 2 hours just to get to school! And all of them know 3 languages! They speak and read the Bible in Kikuyu, but all of their schooling is in Kiswahili and English. I told them that even though they are struggling readers, due to their languages they are smarter than most people! It was a pleasure to encourage them. We even prayed together and Eluid prayed in Kikuyu which was so beautiful to hear aloud!

We went back to CURE on Monday. Emma and I have both really enjoyed this ministry. We bought balloons in Nairobi for them last Saturday and they all seemed to enjoy them!! 'Balooni, Balooni!' There was a particular child about 4 years old who was walking around on her knees (quite gracefully I might add) and needed to have an operation to remove her legs below the knee and replace them with prosthetics. The father was not understanding, I'm sure he'd never heard 'artificial' before. So Phoebe, who is the paid staff for the waiting room, had me illustrate what was needed to be done. Of course, the father was not ready to hear about the drastic measures needed to be taken. Phoebe and I prayed about his decision. His name is Stephen, if you would care to lift him up as well. He is beginning to know the Lord, but has not committed his life to Him yet, so please pray about that as well.

Emma and I also have extended our child care to another family who had their second last Tuesday. Daniel and Natalie Faris gave birth to an 8 lbs 8 oz boy named William (Liam) Paul Faris. We took turns sleeping next to their toddler during the nights they slept at the hospital. We also gave Daniel some relief in the afternoons as the nights were a bit unrestful. I'm sure that's an understatement.



Yesterday we went to a Masai Village. Samuel, a guard at RVA, offered to take us. On the way we saw a few baboons and some giraffe! Even though the giraffe were very far away, the fact that I saw some and wasn't even in a game park is amazing! Also we were driving through a few different villages and Samuel was greeting some of the other Masai. Next thing I know one of the Masai opens the door and asks me 'Can you squeeze?' I'm like... ok..... so I sit in the middle and let him in. Turns out he's seen me before, cuz he is another guard at RVA! I would have never recognized him in all his Masai apparel! We spent some time in the village but mostly Samuel and a guide named Daniel led us up to Mount Suswa to hike around in bat caves! So fun! We then ate lunch with Samuel and met some members of his family. It is very complicated, as his father has had 3 wives so Samuel doesn't know how many siblings he has. Also his brother who is in his 40's just took a wife who is about 17. She seemed joyful and was fitting in to the new community quite well. Emma was granted the opportunity to 'book' herself in for a marriage to Samuel's friend. I've been able to deter these sorts of requests quite well so far!

We are still in Kijabe. Our time here is continually getting longer. We are very anxious to go North and the Andersen family is even more so. For most of the kids, Kalacha is home and they miss it greatly. For us, we long to see the remote part of Kenya, to stop living out of suitcases, and to be in the place of our actual ministry. But our flexibility is exactly what Africa is testing us on and though I thought I was good in that area, I too have been stretched! Pray we go soon, and that our travels are safe.

3 comments:

  1. Prayers! Who was it who said, "If you ask God for patience, He will give you an opportunity to grow your patience"? I look forward to hearing about your trip north.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are enjoying a great immersion into Kenyan life. Kikuyu is indeed a beautiful language. Mungu ni mwema, milele na milele!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca the fifth graders are praying for you. I pulled up your blog the other day on the SMART board so the whole class could read and enjoy! Many blessings to you!
    Love,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete