Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Miscellaneous Joy

We had prayer retreat in Kurungu last week. People from all over Northern Kenya came to it. It was very refreshing for me to take a step back from Kalacha and reflect on my time here and what God has been working in me personally as well. I have been able to come back with a renewed sense of ambition and purpose. Every day since has been filled with activity and ministry. Thanks to all who have been praying. We only have 2 weeks left in Kalacha and my biggest prayer request is that as we depart we show the love of Jesus as perfectly as we can, and that God gives them understanding about the shortness of our visit.

I've really taken to learning as much Gabbra as I can even though it is only 2 more weeks. I know all the greetings now, but I have to prepare myself before using them because it is still very complicated. The other day Asako was coming towards us and I prepared myself to greet him. He beat me to it though and said 'Hello'. Since I was prepared, I still said 'Bara ki'. He responded first in Swahili 'Nzuri' but then realized it was Gabra I said so he switched and said 'eh Bartu'. 3 languages in 3 seconds= Awesome!

I'm developing a Kenyan Accent. I apologize ahead of time to any and all whom I use it on when I return! I use it on Emma quite frequently now, and she 'tells me off' for it! Her accent and mine are both becoming quite obvious when we teach spelling to the children. Emma will say the word spattering with a lazy 'r' and the kids will spell 'spattaing' but then I will say it with a lazy 't' and they will spell 'spaddering'. Lately we'll let them choose which accent they'd rather listen to!


On Monday a fish lorie (truck) from Lake Turkana got stuck in the Chalbi Desert. It was in the clay layer of earth underneath the sand. Eddie went to free it and he was paid in fish! So we've had plenty of meat lately! The fish lorie was still stuck on Thursday though! It kept sinking deeper and deeper! The whole thing nearly spoiled on the desert! This is even more ironic because the Gabbra people do not eat fish. They think only sorcerors eat it! A few of the locals still smuggled it into town though!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear your Kenyan accent. :) I don't even know what that means!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to hear & say it this way: girl = gull, first = fust, work = wuk, church = chuch. (the u's are all short phonetically) You've had a wonderful experience in Kenya. You'll never forget it. Mungu kweli ni mwema sana!

    ReplyDelete