Monday, August 23, 2010

All systems Go!

After 18 hours of flying, 5 hours of layovers, 3 security checks and hopefully enough sleep, I've arrived in Kenya! To be honest, I don't really know how jet-lagged I am. I slept almost all of the last 8 hour flight from London to Nairobi, though I was sure to eat the meals given out on the plane! and then I slept pretty solid all night long. There was the call to prayer at 5 am that I definitely didn't sleep through, and was quite alert by 7 am this morning. I plan to stay awake all day so as to get on track with the time here. Up until about an hour ago, I wasn't quite sure of the day, much less the time!
I met Emma right before getting on the London plane. She is my teammate. She has a strong English accent, and we continually have to stop mid-conversation and explain what we are talking about. It is so wierd that we speak the same language but still have to translate! She seems very laid back and pretty mature for just coming out of secondary school. I hope we become very comfortable around eachother so that we can be an emotional and spiritual support for eachother. Pray that this happens at a natural pace.
Right now I'm staying with the hospitality missionaries here in Nairobi. Their house is essentially a constant flux of missionaries. In this house right now are Scottish, German, English, and American. Actually this house is the home of some Bolivian missionaries that are currently on furlough. So the decor is an odd mix of South American and African influences. The house is quite full right now, and their really isn't enough space to even look through my luggage. I felt a bit embarrassed last night, feeling I am the typical American with too much stuff, but this morning at breakfast, I heard of other stories that were far worse (47 bags for a family of 3!) Now that is ridiculous!
I'm anxious to learn the language and get involved! But so far all I know is Asanti (Thank you) which is to be my response to Karibu (welcome). And I've hardly talked to any Africans. Until that happens, I think I'll just feel out of place, instead of at home in God's work. Pray I get opportunities to do so soon. We will be in Nairobi till Friday or even Monday, so this time of limbo could be very long otherwise. But we are right near Kibera Slum, the largest slum in the world, so the opportunities are great if we are given the chance. Also pray for emotional strength and rejuvenation after many good-byes and getting used to not having your amazing support and encouragement so close and tangible. Thanks to all of you who continue to pray and support me from such a distance. You mean the world to me!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. Glad you got there safely. We will continue praying. We miss you already:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you got there safely, and that you met your partner. You will continue to be in my prayers. Don't forget you are in the hearts of many in central Minnesota. You have been added to my church's prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you too! I am so glad to know you are there and getting some time to get used to the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you made it safely! You are in my prayers, Bex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Habari yako, Becca:
    Sawa that you arrived safely and hope you are nzuri sana right now. Kenya ni nzuri sana and most wonderful of all are the Wakenya. If you ever have extra time in Nairobi, I can put you in touch with one of Njeri's cousins. Ann can show you all the cool stuff that wageni usually don't get to see. How was Kibera?
    Heartbreaking, right?

    baraka tele!

    ReplyDelete